This inscription can be seen on the outside of the south wall; its Latin text is as follows:
DEO UNI BONO ET SANCTIS QUI IN TERRA
SUNT EIUS OMNIBUS OLIM DICATAM HANC
ECCLESIAM ANTIQUA MAIORUM PIETATE
EXSTRUETAM IAM VERO PRAE VETUSTATE
LABEFACTATAM DENUO RESTAURAVIT ET
PROPRIIS IMPENSIS NEC TAMEN FIDELIUM
SUBSIDIIS NON ADIUTUS AD PRISTINUM
DECOREM RESTITUIT PRIMUS RECTOR
EDUARDUS BONUS ANNO SALUTIS
A fluent translation of the above is:
This holy church, built long ago to the One Good God and all the saints who are on His earth by the piety of our ancestors, but now truly falling down from old age, was rebuilt for the second time and restored to its original beauty by Edward Bonus, First Rector, at his own expense but aided by the support of the faithful, in the year of our salvation 1894.
Edward Bonus can be called the First Rector, because in 1888 Buckland was split from Stoke Mandeville to become for the first time a parish in its own right. The whole inscription is interesting as it consists of one single, beautifully constructed sentence. The location of the inscription on the outside of the Church becomes clear once the meaning is understood, as this is not an obituary memorial, but a record of Bonus’ good deed in restoring the Church.
Andrew Leleux, Convenor
Val Brown, Member
The Wendover U3A Understanding Latin Group